LegislationIn 2010, Governor Bev Perdue signed into law House Bill 1973 and House Bill 713 that creates the following changes to the North Carolina Film Incentive:
- Creates a single, easy to use 25% film Incentive.
- Eliminates the 15% and Alternative Film credit.
- Increases per project cap to $20 million (was $7.5 million)
- Defines, employee fringe contributions, including health, pension and welfare contributions as qualifying expenses.
- Defines per diems, stipends, and living expenses as qualifying expenses.
- Eliminates the 6.9% corporate income tax on the incentive taken by a production company. This allows the production company to realize a full 25% of qualifying expenses.
In 2012, Governor Bev Perdue signed into law Senate Bill 847 that changed the following to the North Carolina Film Incentive:
- Extends the sunset date to January 1, 2015